Thursday, November 9, 2006

Benga-screw-you

WORD to this article. Thank you, Economist, for saying it better than I ever could.

I can just hear the speeches about hanging on to Our Glorious Heritage... what bullshit! You know, India had the chance to educate me about OGH, mould my mind, win me over to its way of thinking. What it did was try to fill my head with cheap propaganda, incorrect maps, blind faith in sainted personalities and next to no real understanding of our history or our society.

I had to leave India to find out the meaning of socialism, the diversity of thought and philosophy among the people always lumped together as "freedom fighters", the true extent of cultural and ethnic differences in the subcontinent, even the real boundaries of my own country. I had to read and find out for myself what my history text books should have taught me about the various kingdoms that governed us for centuries, because all the text books ever held were meaningless platitudes about "good kings" and "bad kings". They lied to me all along!

When I was three years old, my mother explained to me what colonisation meant: "The British stole our flag, little Wendelin." So the kids in my neighbourhood, we made up games where the objective was to steal their flag. My dad went to London on a business trip, and I remember thinking he was a traitor. I'm a total Anglophile now - love their movies, their brand of comedy, their old-school noblesse-oblige culture that probably doesn't even exist any more. Sometimes I catch myself thinking, of all the conquerors we might have had, we really lucked out that it was the British. Imagine if it had been the Japanese that took us over, or the Russians, or (horrors) USA! I doubt these others would have made India their home the way the British did, put in judiciaries and transport systems and schools...

Now you're all going to dump on me talking about rights and atrocities and Jallianwallah Bagh and whatever, but this post is about things that don't get said enough, or at all. Every success that India enjoys today in the world marketplace can be traced to systems that the British set up in our country, and it seems it's not cool to acknowledge it.

What's cool, apparantly, is to identify a rich, vibrant, thriving metropolis with an abysmally dull story of questionable authenticity about - of all things - boiled beans. Boiled beans! By what demented standard is that stupid story greater than the real birth of the city of Bangalore - the English cantonment town, its parks, its courts, its roads, its train station?

You "purists" can go stuff yourselves. It's always going to be Bangalore and Bombay and Calcutta and Madras to me when I'm speaking English.

6 comments:

  1. Nobody made it their home! All the systems were set up to maximise the Company's profits while reducing expenses. Even judiciary means stable law and order so less expenses, and universities mean more cheap civil servants to serve you. The British had no other ideology than profit, and that is why they were successful over colonies and even other colonialist powers (France had Napoleon, Spain had Catholicism etc). The only thing this shows is that a profit based society brings about general good.

    But you are right about place names, and false pride, and the way they really teach us nothing in India. - Saurabh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Btw, why do you think Americans will be as bad as Germans and Russians and Japanese? Americans would be bad rulers not out of cruelty but because of ignorance. Also, nobody is in awe of America coz it hasnt got any institutions. Like English Bob says in Unforgiven: "If you were to try to assassinate a king, sir, the aura of royalty would cause you to miss. But, the president, I mean, why not shoot the president?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. They were profit-driven and that was good! And they *lived* here and personally carried out administration rather than just... I don't know, letting their military occupy us like US in Iraq. And that was *because* they wanted to milk us for profit... Which turned out to be good for us in many ways.

    America would be bad precisely because of its incompetence and aura of ordinariness. Even if they had the best intentions, they would be second-guessing themselves all the time and screw us up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They lived here coz it was a colony. If US tries to settle Iraq, not that it would, but if it did, all hell would ensue. Colonies are passe. Look at Israel and Palestine. - saurabh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmphh..

    The Indian system shows a blatant lack of prioritisation.

    A survey of more than 2,500 men aged between 16 and 25 conducted by India Today mag across 11 cities found that 49 % claimed to have had sex with a sex worker while 37 % said they had had a homosexual experience.
    But 63% said they expected the women they married to be a virgin. 14% said they had had sex with a member of their own family.

    That's OGH for you..but uh.. that's not important, let's rename our cities for a fake sense of Indianness before the evil westerners turn our children into publicly-kissing, mini-skirt-wearing satanspawn.

    fuck the culture police,really. Benga-screw-you is right!

    ReplyDelete
  6. But Jups, can you in fact trust these surveys? I don't know about sex with family members (yeech yeech yeech I will now go wash my eyes out with soap, thank you) but it's got to up a guy's ego to brag to the cutie doing the survey that, yeeaahhh of course he's "had" that hot receptionist. No?

    Oh wait, I just read your comment a little more carefully - you didn't say "co worker", you said "sex worker", oops! Hmmmmmmmmmm...

    ReplyDelete

Fixin' to move

Bored and restless am I. It's time to move on from this "wendelin" business. I'm fixing up a new place to get properly res...