Friday, March 16, 2007

DesiDabba

Starting yesterday, I'm writing for DesiDabba.org, a blog focusing on Indian television.

Now, me writing on matters of Indian television is sort of like Dick Cheney writing about single moms working for minimum wage. Not only have I not lived in India for 12 years, I have never in the meantime had cable TV either - no siree, not even Zee TV. There's an awful lot I can find out about it, but I'd still be a phoney-phoney-bo-boney. It would seem my soul comes cheap ($0.00, to be precise). In exchange for sufficient exposure and a byline, I'd write squid porn.

Boundary matters having been established, let's move on to my plan of action. Head-honchess Saakshi has given me free rein on what I wish to cover, so you may expect my usual range of burning social issues, rants on worthy causes, and inspired reviews of American TV that just happens to be playing on, say, StarWorld. Excerpt from my first article:
I’m a huge fan of scumbag protagonists. Nothing is so dull as watching the good become enlightened, the funny flit over minor hiccups to riches and/or gorgeous spouses, or the naam-ke-vaaste beleaguered transform smoothly into Candyland perfection. Instead, Earl takes place worlds away from more familiar NBC urban sitcoms such as "Friends" and "Will & Grace", set instead in the heart of American trailer-park culture, where the protagonist Earl J. Hickey (snigger, snigger) might be a new Karma-convert, but isn’t about to abandon his thieving side anytime soon.

Ba-dum-pum-BISH. Thank you, thank you. I'm here till Monday.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, you see. This isjust the sort of thing that's going to trip me up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I will say..."squid porn" is all cool with me. :)

    Welcome aboard.

    Sakshi

    ReplyDelete

Fixin' to move

Bored and restless am I. It's time to move on from this "wendelin" business. I'm fixing up a new place to get properly res...