It's so hard to know what to think of Bush's new plan to 'surge' in Iraq.For four years we had it easy: WTF is this guy thinking? I don't mean to say there isn't a strong element of that even now (it's Bush, please) but really, what's to be done about the great Iraq question?
On one hand, there're the Iraqis. If I was Iraqi I'd be yelling: you got me into this mess, sharmoota, and you gonna get me out of it - I don't care how many bajillion dollars it costs you.
But on the other hand, there's me, the honest US taxpayer with whose retirement fund is swiftly going poof on some goddamned mullahs whose dearest wish is to kill me and then one another, because a jackass president who I didn't even elect went around starting wars without listening to a word I said.
So I'm coming down on the familiar side of "Bush's Plan Is Nuts", but I can't say I'm able to meet the eyes of the (admittedly few) honest Iraqis. It's a dog eat dog world, whatchagonnado.
Dilemma indeed. The news just makes me feel helpless these days.. it's as if there is no right way to do anything, all one can try to do is minimize damage at this point! This war.. and what about the one every person is waging against civilization itself?! Fine, we recycle, but then what? A lot of damage has already been done, and again, no solution in sight. Nothing seems enough, nothing seems useful.
ReplyDelete-mockingbird