Let me get this straight.
- If the Congress rules against net neutrality, then content and service providers on the internet will have to pay phone companies some toll to get their info online on the fast lane.
- Which means only the big players will be left on the internet - no message boards or blogs or personal webpages, right?
- Which turns the internet into... TV, essentially?
- But if that's the case, why are EBay and other large internet presences fighting for NN?
- What do they care if small fry can't have their own blogs? (I understand why Google would be pissed, but EBay has enough teeth and cash to survive, what.)
- Do *I* have to pay a bigger fee than I already am for a broadband connection? Doesn't look like it, from what they're saying.
- Also, control of what websites we look at is in the hands of phone companies? (Unless we're willing to take the slow lane, I guess.) Dude, what are they thinking??
- And what's up with Verizon reserving 80% of their bandwidth for their own services? The numbers say that what'll be left over is 20 megs per household. That seems like a very very small number to me. But expert blogs are telling me that's more than enough?
- Is this all a ploy by cable companies to stop people downloading movies off the internet? After all, Time-Warner charges $3.99 for an on demand movie while it's only $2.99 on the internet... Is this what it's all about?
Anybody with gyan, share it!
I kind of get what you're talking about in terms of NN, but can you please explain what EBay has to do with it? Does it also provide services beyond online auctions?
ReplyDelete