Here's something for you to do: watch the new 7-Up ad (click "Check out our TV Ads" right there on the front page). Now think back to the Dr. Pepper ads you've seen... if you haven't, check out their website (Products->Dr Pepper), where you can get the gist of their message.
So here's 7-Up saying they're all natural, only 5 natural ingredients... and there's Dr. Pepper boasting of the bold, complex flavour of 23, an "authentic blend of 23 flavours". These two drinks have exactly opposite advertising strategies.
The kicker: 7-Up and Dr Pepper are the same company, the "Dr Pepper/Seven Up, Inc."
It seems that they are involved in a social experiment. Over here at the observers' corner, I'm shaking my head and cheering at the same time. I predict that both ad campaigns will be equally successful, proving once and for all that (a) consumers are MORONS and (b) publicity - ANY publicity - always works. It may be good to have hard evidence of that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Fixin' to move
Bored and restless am I. It's time to move on from this "wendelin" business. I'm fixing up a new place to get properly res...
-
As I type up last Friday's blog inviting questions for the weekly "Ask Me Anything Day", Saurabh looks over my shoulder. Click...
-
Yes, there have been no updates lately, but that is because - well - With a view towards relaxation and general surfing, I trolled LJ for fu...
-
. I have yet again managed to rip my schedule to shreds and shamelessly shy away from work. I need to do something about it... and what bet...
I am currently working on finding the latest information on Travel insurance when I came across your site. My passion is in the area of Travel insurance and after finding your blog, I believe we have a real synergy and that my subsrcibers would benefit from your perspective on the topic.
ReplyDeleteI suppose part of the strategy has to do with consumer trends (all natural!-I remember Saurabh had a post on something like that--or at least, a list of identifiable/pronouncable ingredients).
ReplyDeletePart of it has to do with history-I don't know about 7Up, but how Dr Pepper was invented (and why it's so awful) is exactly because it's an authentic blend of 23 flavours. In the old days of soda fountains, a soda jerk (or the owner of one of those things, I don't recall) mixed all the syrups he had to create an all-new flavour.
The only thing that I can think of that is worse is Cheetos flavoured lip balm. Yech.