We already permit such uses of snippets for the development of book reviews. Google’s proposed technology is an extension of that. It permits much wider dissemination of relevant snippets of books--in doing so it will whet the appetite of a reading audience that is now global in scale. Authors and publishers stand to benefit greatly.
You heard them right. I thought at first that Google was only going to make one 'snippet' from each book available online, and took issue with it because they wouldn't define what a 'snippet' was. Turns out this whole Print Library thing is much worse than I thought it was.
The project scans entire books and stores them in Google's database. Now anybody who searches for a keyword in a certain book will be shown a complete page containing the search word and allow you to look at two full pages on either side of the original page. This, from anywhere in the book, including multiple snippets if they keyword turns up multiple results, including results from any other books in their database that match the search phrase. FIVE PAGES.
In essence, Google is making entire books searchable and available online.
Wanna see it in action? This is my search for "dissociative fugue" on Google Print. There are 659 results, and the first page, at least, is all good, solid information. I read five pages in 20 books, I'm an expert. I could pass exams without ever paying a single cent for a text book.
Am I the only person who sees the glaring problems with this? Right now, information found on the internet is on the internet with the explicit permission of the people who wrote it up, people who have been compensated to their satisfaction for their time and effort. The information that you and I are able to access online is not stolen content, unless it's an illegal download. Now, if I want, I'll legally be able to search for relevant passages in textbooks and technical papers and nonfiction books to look up any specific bit of information that I need. I will be able to print it out. I will never need to buy another nonfiction book again.
All this, without the permission of the creators of the content I am freely accessing, without them being compensated a penny for it.
So don't reassure me that these 'snippets' will be good advertisement, that it will benefit publishers and writers. Let the publishers and writers be the judge of that. Let them opt in to this program if they so wish. Don't force your so-called benefits on them if they don't want it, don't make them go through the trouble of opting out manually if they don't want to be included in your shameless rights-grab.
Google search and Google ads are off this blog in protest. I am exploring other hosting options for the blog. I think it's time for me to move to my own site.
I have been a supporter of Google Print till before I read this, now I am not so sure.
ReplyDeleteHa, Ha, ha... anonymous1 back here but this time let me see how I can say things in an simple understandable language...ohhkay... Lemme use English...*laughs*
ReplyDeleteYes...Books are scanned.
Yes...Complete Books.
Yes...People may never buy books anymore.
Yes...We are getting into a world where no rights will be respected.
OMG... THEY ARE LOOSE... Armageddon is coming.
Oh C'mon, I've an urgent requirement to write an argumentative analysis of Maslow's Need Heirarchy Theory or my kid bro wants to find out projects similar to the one he's working on Nanotechnology and my resources aint good enough. Its getting late and its the weekend. So what does "learned weird" recommend, I rush to every "closed" bookstore looking for the book. Great I shall do that.
Google Print is an endeavor to make everything searchable and make it available in the public domain. If there is an infringement of copyright or somebody is getting a raw deal, then a question to you is this... what about the times that people photocopied entire books? What about the piracy market for books? There is a huge parallel literary world that thrives only on that & people get benefitted for this. As long as books get charged with such exorbitant rates, such endeavors will always be taken up. If not Google, others will come up. And this is not a first also...
Havent you heard of the following websites...
Million Books http://www.archive.org/details/millionbooks
Project Gutenberg - www.gutenberg.org
Have they not infringed any right? Google's interface is simpler and no downloads also. And thats the issue. TechFreaks like everything complicated, Google doesnt do that so it completely even takes them off the market too.
Just my 10 pennies worth... or 2 dimes or whatever the ruddy currency.
Dude, copyright infringement is illegal. Piracy is illegal. Your argument is to make all this legal because a lot of people are doing it?
ReplyDeleteYou got serious problems, man.
And FYI, Project Gutenberg is for books that are already in the public domain. Google's putting up books that are still copyrighted.
One last thing: writers are among the worst paid people in the world. Going rate in most magazines is something like 50 cents a word. Why isn't Google compensating writers for whatever number of words it allows users to see? It's only fair.
Your blog has become un-readable in Firefox, I can see the entried in IE. It used to work till not too long ago.
ReplyDeleteI know! I'm working on a fix.
ReplyDelete