I'm all for the Open Source movement. I don't do any kind of software development myself, so it's not my time and effort that's being put out there for free... and as a private individual, I stand to benefit liek OMG!crazy from the developers who put free content out there. In my head, I call these people suckers. I'd never do it.
Why I'd never do it is another matter. The content that I would be able to write is fiction, and perhaps some non-fiction about writing. That's the only thing I know something about, and it's the one thing I would like doing... it wouldn't feel like work.
But at this stage in my career (if you can call it that, hyuk hyuk) I can't afford to do it. I'm still paying my dues in the publishing industry. I work for peanuts, and I desperately need those peanuts as well the the exposure my work is perhaps getting me. I'm not about to set aside a huge chunk of my time to work for less than peanuts, for nothing at all. I figure I'll do that when my career gets big enough for me to earn a decent living on it. That's the time to pay the community back... not now when I can't afford it. Besides, that's when my content will actually reach people and be treated with the respect it deserves if I do put it out there for free: who wants to read a largely unpublished writer's advice to newbies? The reason why Holly Lisle's articles are so popular and well-regarded is not just because they're good... it's because it's proven to work: she's written 25+ novels by following her own advice.
Anyway. Point is: to me, open source projects are free knowledge that I have come to be thankful for. I appreciate it, I take my hats off to those who give their time, even if in my more cynical moments I call them suckers.
But what Google's just decided to do is beyond open source. It's forced open source.
They want to put 'snippets' of writers' content on the internet, without permission or compensation, in the name of making the info accessible to everyone (and, oh, making the quick buck by selling ad space on the pages with content) - that's bullshit. If you didn't create the content yourself, you have no business going about making the information available for free.
Legally speaking, there are provisions for what is called ‘fair use’. Most authors, recording artists and actors know all about this. It permits an organization to use a small piece of copyrighted material without paying the copyright holder. A good example is when a radio program airs a 5 or 10 second clip of sound from a movie during a review. The holder of the movie copyrights do not get paid for it. Not directly. Indirectly they are getting free publicity and that has value.
Yahoo has been doing this kind of thing for years by putting up movie trailers that you can see on your computer. I don’t know if the holder of the movie copyright pays for this publicity or not. Probably not. I expect Yahoo just does it for the ad revenue. Amazon permits you to see inside a book on occasion, not very much, but a few pages. The amount most shoppers at a book store would read before deciding to buy or not buy the book. And Amazon gets permission from the copyright holder to do this.
So, with that in mind (along with the fact that I am no lawyer) it looks like it might be legal. SO LONG as they keep it to a very, very small piece of the book in question. Like the blurb on the back cover and a list of key words such as character names.
On the moral side, I don't think it's right.
If they are basing an entire business around the use of copyrighted material and generating income from the use of that material, my immediate reaction is that the creators should be paid. Sure, if they are very limited on the amount of information that they put online, then it could actually HELP the author by being additional publicity (of a minor sort of course) for his or her works. Kind of like a movie trailer on-line. But only if there is a convenient button or banner to click on if you want to buy the book you are looking at.
But who knows what these guys mean by a 'snippet'? The language they're using seems to indicate they want to put up fairly large chunks of writers' works - possibly a couple of chapters, certainly more than 'fair use' would allow.
Whatever happened to 'Don't Be Evil'?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Fixin' to move
Bored and restless am I. It's time to move on from this "wendelin" business. I'm fixing up a new place to get properly res...
-
As I type up last Friday's blog inviting questions for the weekly "Ask Me Anything Day", Saurabh looks over my shoulder. Click...
-
Yes, there have been no updates lately, but that is because - well - With a view towards relaxation and general surfing, I trolled LJ for fu...
-
. I have yet again managed to rip my schedule to shreds and shamelessly shy away from work. I need to do something about it... and what bet...
Dunno why I'm commenting and really its your take on Google's Forced OpenSource. But what Google does also creates value for the authors...
ReplyDeleteIf there had not been an active community that went ballistic about Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code, his other books would never have reached the markets and thats just one example.
Any avid reader would always agree that ultimately nothing beats having the book in your own hands and reading it lying on the bed, couch or a Laz-e-Bag. So unless MS/ Dell/ IBM/ Sony/ or any of the other guys are gonna come up with something super radical that I can be online lying on my bed reading the book in electronic form in one hand while dipping my other hand into a bag of wafers, there's no fear of any author losing out because Google has suddenly started posting "snippets"
Just my two pennies worth... maybe I just understood your rant wrong
Here's a rebuttal from Forbes.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.forbes.com/technology/2005/11/03/google-print-project_cx_ns_1103googlecomment.html
kr!sh
Digitizing documents is something that UNESCO has done and is a major project called GREENSTONE. (www.greenstone.org) Its main motive is to digitize documents so that these are not lost. They have even created a software for the same is freely shipped to anyone who emails the Project leaders.
ReplyDeleteNow would that infringe copyright laws... its the way people fought Napster. There people had a valid objection as files could downloaded. Google is offering no such feature. It offers an online read only.
The Forbes article that you have attached also endorses the same reasoning I had given in my earlier comment. Ultimately the reader's appetite would be whet. Its practically silly to think that anyone can attempt reading online Lord of the Rings or Vikram Seth's Suitable Boy or Friedman's World is Flat or Ayn Rand's Fountainhead.
The fear that everyone has now is nothing short of the paranoia when people first came face-to-face with the internet. Its the kind of paranoia that actually made George Orwell write the brilliant "1984".
You can keep harping on legal issues or embrace technology. The ultimate beneficiary is the consumer and well... Aint the Consumer the King?
Kr!sh,
ReplyDeleteyour reasoning is the same that people have used to argue for Napster: that the 'real music fans' will always buy the CD, because hey will want to hold the cover and the pictures n their hands whil listening to the music, etc etc. Doesn't work that way. As computers become more and more integrated with our lives, we're going to do more and more on them. I do most of my non-fiction reading on the internet... I read The Lexus And The Olive Tree online, I read the third Harry Potter book online first, and I've lost count of the number of e-books I have read. This, when I completely agree with you when you say that it doesn't compare to reading an actual book.
I don't dispute that Google's idea is a good one if its 'snippets' are small enough to function as whetters of appetites, as trailers, as advertisement. But for anything more than that, they *must* have the content producer's permission before they proceed, which Google has no intention of doing (they assume they have permission unlss the authors explicitly opt out, which is bullshit reasoning).
Plus, arguing that there is 'consumer benefits' to this is bad reasoning. Consumers obviously stand to gain if they're given free stuff! Of course, in the end, the consumers will *lose*, because there will be less incentive for people to create content, but that's not the real problem. The rights being trampled, that's the main objection.
Rights? Whose are rights are we talking here? *looks around... Did I miss part of the message somewhere? Oh no! its the head screwed on top in a wierd manner talking* Laughs.
ReplyDeleteThere are no altruistic intentions of those protecting the "rights" card you're suddenly waving. Its also not the "creation of content* card you are showing. Its not about how much you can read online also. If at all you had said something right then its
*snip*
"there will be less incentive for people"
*paste*
INCENTIVE is the name of the game. Each one needs that. Monetary compensation. If someone or everyone has a grouse with Google its simply that... loss in real monetary terms. Thats it. No copyright bunkum. No rights being trampled etc. They couldnt see the potential that Google saw and its a fact of life that you realize a good thing only after you lose the same. Why JK Rowling (sp?) was made a fool of when she refused to bring out an e-version of her latest Harry Potter book and found copies floating online within hours of the release. I was sent a copy too... have I read it? Nope. Why? Cant lie in the bed and read that. Ultimately its all about comfort and profits. Why did all the music companies come out with digital downloads after the Napster fiasco because they saw the potential. Similarly now the publishers want to wake up but Google has jumped the gun so they are feeling cheated for sleeping at the post like the rabbit.
Its all about the Money, Honey.
It's about money, sure, and I don't doubt Google will muscle their way into doing this somehow, anyhow. My point was that this action is unethical if Google plans to use more than a couple of paragraphs of any author's work (arbitrary, I know, but let's call fair use 'less than a whole chapter', shall we?)
ReplyDeleteSo. I am waving the 'rights' card and the 'creation of content' card because these are the right ones to wave in this particular ethical issue. Property rights are to be protected by the government, and information is the property that's worth more than anything in today's market. Nobody should be allowed to steal that.
Hey Anonymous#2 with signed "kr!sh" is me.. Rest of the posts are from another intelligent anonymous :-) ..
ReplyDeleteApologies. :)
ReplyDelete