I messed up last year. (There. Got what you wanted? Run off now and smirk all you want. :P)
I wanted to write the novel of my life, clever and funny and deep and bursting with amazing characters. Lesson learned: overreaching is doomed to failure. Not only did I hate my novel before I was halfway through it, I even gave up sometime around the middle... and though I finished at the end of December, eventually, with 50k+ words, it was sorta against the rules to do this in two batches of two weeks each, so I didn't count myself a real winner.
This time it will be different. I'm writing a romance novel. :D Yes. :D Romance. :D Hot sex scenes and all. :D I figure, even if it sort of sucks, I can sell it to Harlequin.
I'm actually excited about this, having been a closet (haha, not any more) fan of good romance for years and years. You know, the Judith McNaught, Julie Garwood type of thing. The first romance novel I read and liked was one of Judith McNaught's, called Perfect. I was 17 and going through a sentimental-about-love stage (don't ask), and I cried buckets. Any good romance novel I read now takes me back to that time, sort of like when an old song transports you back to when you first heard it, and reduces me to tears. Granted, it doesn't take much to make me cry, but I swear to you I can count on one hand the number of times I've cried reading a book, and with the notable exception of Dumbledore's "Remember Cedric Diggory" speech in HP4, it's all for sappy romances.
I will also be posting snippets of my work each day, along with word count for the day, over here... so you can cry with me or laugh at me or whatever. I don't want to stop blogging again for the whole month. I've taken enough breaks already this year, and if anything, blogging about the novel will be an incentive to keep at it through the boring patches.
Not that there will be any. This book's going to be splendid. It'll be clever and funny and deep and bursting with amazing characters...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Fixin' to move
Bored and restless am I. It's time to move on from this "wendelin" business. I'm fixing up a new place to get properly res...
-
As I type up last Friday's blog inviting questions for the weekly "Ask Me Anything Day", Saurabh looks over my shoulder. Click...
-
Yes, there have been no updates lately, but that is because - well - With a view towards relaxation and general surfing, I trolled LJ for fu...
-
. I have yet again managed to rip my schedule to shreds and shamelessly shy away from work. I need to do something about it... and what bet...
There's a difference between overreaching and being ambitious.
ReplyDeleteBe ambitious.
Make it funny! I can handle romance novels if they are funny -- Alex and Emma, for instance (that was a movie but you get my drift). But funny novel or not, glad you're giving Nanowrimo another shot.
ReplyDelete