French rap.
I got started with a couple of them that got features in the final episodes of Sex and the City: Il Fait Chaud (Passi) and La Belle Et Le Bad Boy (MC Solaar), both of which are excellent, the latter probably brilliant. Then I downloaded myself a whole bunch of random French raps, and am thoroughly enjoying them all.
There is something to be said for raps in which you can't understand any of the words (except for the occasional 'fuck' that makes its way here also). You can get a lot of work done to it. Rap in English tries so hard to shock and offend that it takes too much mental effort to look past the words into the music. It's just evolved that way. I, for one, am a fan of the beats and the rhythm, because even when you take out the swearing, raps aren't about anything interesting in English.
I tried a Spanish rap on this theory - didn't like it very much. Perhaps the music in Spanish raps is a little off, perhaps it isn't quite suited to rap... or perhaps French just sounds better to my ears.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Fixin' to move
Bored and restless am I. It's time to move on from this "wendelin" business. I'm fixing up a new place to get properly res...
-
As I type up last Friday's blog inviting questions for the weekly "Ask Me Anything Day", Saurabh looks over my shoulder. Click...
-
Yes, there have been no updates lately, but that is because - well - With a view towards relaxation and general surfing, I trolled LJ for fu...
-
. I have yet again managed to rip my schedule to shreds and shamelessly shy away from work. I need to do something about it... and what bet...
If you like french rap, try Manau. And yeah Solaar is good!
ReplyDelete