Monday, February 21, 2005

Wedding Blog: Getting past the blushes

Meh.

So the boyfriend and I have been too caught up in freaking out over the impending wedding to think about any sort of post-wedding life. As far as he's concerned, especially, it all ends at: "Let's not think about marriage right now" and "Aarrghh, I'm going to die if I have to wear a suit in that heat."

But over the past weekend, I've started to take a few tentative steps forward. Last Friday I wondered aloud where we should go for our honeymoon.

Long silence. Then,

Boyfriend: "Hmm. Will we have time?"

Yours Truly: "Well, we're going to be in India for like a month and a half."

B: "Let's go to Goa! Oooh..."

YT: "But... it's May!"

B: "... cashew feni! It's amazing! ..."

YT: "I'm not going to walk willingly into a blazing hunk of sun and ask for a sunburn."

B: "... feel like you're in a totally different country. It's all Portuguese, you know.."

YT: "OI!"

B: "What?"

YT: "We're going in MAY. Would you prefer me baked or fried?"

B: "... considering the fat content of your body, I don't think I'd have much of a choice.."

YT: "Yeah, yeah. Let's go to Kashmir."

And here we proceeded to get into a relatively major squabble over whether to go there or somewhere else, whether to fly there or take the train, how long we should stay etc.

It was much later that I got round to thinking: how in the name of heaven am I supposed to inform the necessary parties of our plans? Six months ago, when my mom and I were watching TV, and a kissing scene came on, we changed the channel. Am I to walk up to her and casually mention that I've got my honeymoon all planned out, thanks very much? *GLACK*

This marriage business isn't as neat and clean as it looks. I doubt my parents will simply wake up one fine morning and suddenly be comfortable with the thought of their daughter... you know. Not fair, man. This sort of stuff should be understood.



PS: Chewie, no gift, OK? Just show up, because that would be awesome. At the very least, I'll have something to say when the boyfriend boasts about how many of his friends are showing up for the wedding. Mind you, numbers on my side will be more than made up for by the percentage of my extended family that will show up (cultural differences between my family and his) - but at the risk of sounding rude, I hardly know them.

6 comments:

  1. What about Melbourne for your HM?
    Or Greece? You could go to all those cool beaches.

    Lehmunade

    ReplyDelete
  2. who wants to go overseas when it's possible to stay in india and eat the yummmmmmmmy food?

    plus, i don't really like beaches. if you remember, i didn't even bother visiting Manly in Sydney..

    - nandini

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ack dont like beaches?
    Now that marriage is fixed, the truths are coming out...!
    Saurabh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oi, just because you enjoy having sand stuck in every bodily crevice with the aid of chipkufying (and stinky) sea salt, doesn't mean I have to. Haven't we had this conversation before?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You could go to Scotland you know. Lots of lovely places with pretty names, you could go Hogwarts-hunting, and summer would be the right time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. heehee...nan's all GROWN UP!!!!!
    yeah well.... i can imagine mummy's reaction when u tell her bout ur honeymoon plans....haahaaa!!! TOO GOOD...

    hey...do it when im there alright.... i could use some laugh....

    haaahaaa.... SABOTAGE!!

    im trying to rope my WHOLE college to your marriage... heeheee....

    have fun!

    chitra

    ReplyDelete

Fixin' to move

Bored and restless am I. It's time to move on from this "wendelin" business. I'm fixing up a new place to get properly res...