Sunday, June 6, 2004

The good stuff & some plot holes


The Plot Holes - (SPOILERS AHEAD!)

Just the big ones:

Update:There's no mention of secret keepers! So how come Lupin coolly believes Sirius even before hearing Sirius say he's innocent? Sirius could very well be the culprit, if anyone at all could just walk up to Voldie and tell him everything. In fact, why would anyone go through the trouble of faking a death if all they had to do was point the finger at Sirius? And what's more, how would anyone know who betrayed Lily and James? And why would they believe Sirius, James's best friend, the betrayer, when it could have been *anyone*?? AARRGGHH! The more I think about this, the bigger the plot holes seem!

1. Why did Sirius escape from Azkaban only *now*?

2. How did he know to come to hogwarts looking for Peter?

3. How and why do Lupin and Snape show up in the Shrieking Shack when they do?

4. How does Lupin know how to work the Marauder's Map?

5. Who are Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs?

6. Why does Harry's patronus take the shape of a stag?

7. Why does Snape hate Lupin, and why does he talk of 'vengeance' to Sirius?

8. Why does Peter's transformation not include his clothes? Sirius and McGonnagal never shed them when they transform, and nobody ever shows up naked; Peter, somehow, scurries out of his clothes after he transforms.

The Good Things
But now it is time to compensate for the POA-bashing by listing all the good stuff I forgot to put down.

The clock theme throughout the movie is a brilliant touch. You see time ticking away everywhere - pendulums swinging, astronomy sets with planets revolving, Harry watching clocks waiting for his friends to return from Hogsmeade.

Then there are the dialogues themselves:

Snape: "Mr Potter, what are you doing wandering the castle at this time of the night?"
Harry: "Sleepwalking."

Trelawney (to Hermione): "You may be young in years, but the heart that beats within you is as shriveled as an old maid; your as dry as the pages of the books you so desperately cling to."

Hermione (to Draco): "You foul, loathesome, evil little cockroach!"

Ron (waking from a dream): "The spiders! They want me to tap dance! I don't want to tap dance!"
Harry: "Well you tell those spiders, Ron!"
Ron (going back to sleep): "Yeah... yeah, I will."

Ron (I forget when - someone remind me?): "She's gone mental, Hermione has. Not that she wasn't already, but now it's out there for the whole world to see."

Sirius: "Brilliant, Snape. Once again you put your keen and penetrating mind to the task and as usual come to the wrong conclusion."

Snape: "Oh, listen to you two, quarrelling like an old married couple."
Sirius: "Why don't you go play with your chemistry set?"

Sirius: "Sorry about the bite. I reckon that twinges a bit."
Ron: "Twinge? Twinge? You nearly tore my leg off!"
Sirius: "I was going for the rat. Normally I have a very sweet disposition as a dog. More than once James suggested I make the change permanent. The tail I could live with. But the fleas... they're murder."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fixin' to move

Bored and restless am I. It's time to move on from this "wendelin" business. I'm fixing up a new place to get properly res...