Monday, April 12, 2004
Book Reco
Understanding International Conflicts by Joseph S. Nye (where have I heard his name before??) is nothing short of brilliant.
Modern international relations depend on an anarchic system - states interact among themselves with no superior authority they need to defer to. There are different philosophies which try to model this sort of behaviour: the skeptics, who believe that might is right in the world of today; the state moralists, who talk about diplomatic relations and treaties as serving roughly the same purpose as higher authorities; and the cosmopolitans, who believe international relations are shaped by decisions made on an individual level (large personalities as well as the collective beliefs of a society). Nye goes on to analyse the World Wars, the Cold War and modern day conflicts in the light of these theories, stressing the inaccuracies and usefulness of each of them. He examines the extent to which these theories can be deterministic, and comes to the conclusion that the wars were not inevitable, only extremely likely. It is also not inevitable that you'll thoroughly enjoy Nye's book - only extremely likely.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Fixin' to move
Bored and restless am I. It's time to move on from this "wendelin" business. I'm fixing up a new place to get properly res...
-
As I type up last Friday's blog inviting questions for the weekly "Ask Me Anything Day", Saurabh looks over my shoulder. Click...
-
Yes, there have been no updates lately, but that is because - well - With a view towards relaxation and general surfing, I trolled LJ for fu...
-
. I have yet again managed to rip my schedule to shreds and shamelessly shy away from work. I need to do something about it... and what bet...
No comments:
Post a Comment