Friday, March 19, 2004
Fast Food Facts
The challenge: find reasons why people should be allowed to sue and get compensation because McDonald's (and BK and KFC and Wendy's et al) made them fat and diabetic.
I know it's a stupid stand to take, but let's just consider it, OK? Here's what needs to be proven:
1. That fast food, when consumed as intended, is harmful to health.
2. That corporate responsibility extends to ensuring that accurate health information is readily and freely available in the event that their product may be harmful to health.
3. That these companies knowingly suppress information about the 'side effects' of using their products and furthur go on to:
(a) relentlessly advertise to children
(b) falsely represent the health facts of their foods (famous eg: McDonalds' "low fat" ice cream and salad, which has more fat than a burger)
(c) not put a disclaimer or warning of any sort on their products
4. That there exists a legal precedent for this sort of litigation
Basically all we need to show is that part of the responsibility for these adverse health effects belongs at the fast food corporation's door. Just a part of it. And this series of very reasonable statements do just that, don't they?
Anyone has any hard evidence/arguments supporting and elaborating the stuff I've said above?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Fixin' to move
Bored and restless am I. It's time to move on from this "wendelin" business. I'm fixing up a new place to get properly res...
-
As I type up last Friday's blog inviting questions for the weekly "Ask Me Anything Day", Saurabh looks over my shoulder. Click...
-
Yes, there have been no updates lately, but that is because - well - With a view towards relaxation and general surfing, I trolled LJ for fu...
-
. I have yet again managed to rip my schedule to shreds and shamelessly shy away from work. I need to do something about it... and what bet...
No comments:
Post a Comment