Thursday, January 22, 2004

Overlooking the obvious

Harry Potter fans are a strange breed. Ask any one of them who their favourite character is, and they'll tell you it's Remus Lupin, Severus Snape, Albus Dumbledore, maybe the Weasly twins. An hour ago I'd have picked one of them... but I've thought about it now, and my heart belongs to one boy who above all is overwhelmingly decent.

He's a quiet sort, borderline reclusive. He's resilient and upbeat and optimistic enough to amaze anyone. A subdued sense of humour that's biting nevertheless complements a wisdom beyond his years. Bright green eyes and famously messy hair distinguish him. His loyalty and courage are the stuff of legends, and so it's only fitting that the series is named after him.

I've overlooked Harry Potter ever since I started reading the books. I've sometimes even asked myself if the series wouldn't have been better if JKR had been perched over someone else's shoulder. But she's a sneaky one, that Joanne Rowling - all these years she's been subtly working Harry into my consciousness so that now, when I seriously think about it, here's a boy who's marvellously real and utterly admirable. He's the one person in the series that I wouldn't miss knowing, if I had to choose. There may be no mysteries about him to keep my curiosity burning (which I suspect is why many of us find the rest of the cast appealing), but he's endearing enough to compensate for everything. I love Harry. If JKR kills him in the end, I'm going to murder her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fixin' to move

Bored and restless am I. It's time to move on from this "wendelin" business. I'm fixing up a new place to get properly res...