Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Spade = Spade; Terrorist = Muslim

The Acorn suggests that the Indian expatriate's propensity for calling herself a "south Asian" must be curbed, and I couldn't agree more. Especially in the light of this NYT article about the Glasgow plot warns that Britons fear "homegrown terrorist attacks among its disenfranchised South Asian population".

No, you imbeciles, that would be its disgruntled muslim population. Who do you think you're kidding? South Asian, my ass.

3 comments:

  1. The India-South Asia brand identity thing caused quite a ruckus on a while back, with Rajiv Malhotra of the Infinity foundation leading the charge.

    While I dislike South Asia too, unfortunately the 'India' proposition has been hijacked by xenophobe jingoists.

    I think the best reason to reject 'South Asia' is neither the transparent attempt to avoid saying 'muslim' nor a misplaced sense of ultranationalist identity (increasingly out of place in a globalized world) but the fact that the tag serves a peculiarly American way of parsing the world that serves its domestic agenda.

    And dude, don't moderate. Turn on Akismet and do post facto deletions of crud that gets through.

    Venkat

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW that's the famous Islamic Rage Boy in the photo :-D

    http://www.google.com.sg/search?q=%22islamic+rage+boy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, that's Rage Boy all right!

    ReplyDelete

Fixin' to move

Bored and restless am I. It's time to move on from this "wendelin" business. I'm fixing up a new place to get properly res...