I have given up trying to reconcile J. K. Rowling's inconsistencies in plot and detail. There are just too many and too infuriating, and at some point, you've just got to throw up your hands and admit that even though you're in love with the world she has created, all you feel for the author herself is the deep loathing reserved for people who should know better, dammit.
But then she comes along and says something so colossally stupid that you just have to go at her again, because justice demands it.
1. Forgetting her own words in an interview of just a week ago (SPOILERS if you click) where she told us that Ron revolutionised the Auror department along with Harry, she now says Ron went into business with George (as a handy replacement for Fred, what else?) while Harry finished school and went on to become an Auror. This is beyond aggravating. I know you all think this is also easily retconnable, but I am not so sanguine, because this is Jo Rowling we're talking about, a woman whose track record speaks of carnage during attempts at retconning. Example:
J. K. Rowling: I know some have asked about Quirrell with regard to [the curse on the DADA teacher post]. He was teaching at Hogwarts for more than a year, but NOT in the post of D.A.D.A. teacher. He was previously Muggle Studies professor.
Uh, why would Voldemort want to limit his time at Hogwarts by choosing to possess a guy who Voldemort himself has made sure will only last there for one year?
2. In the Bloomsbury chat transcript, you will see this:
J.K. Rowling (in answer to a question about where Muggle-Borns get their magic): Muggle-borns will have a witch or wizard somewhere on their family tree, in some cases many, many generations back. The gene re-surfaces in some unexpected places.

Hmm. Let's see.
It can't be a dominant gene, because then it couldn't lie dormant for generations; it would be forced to express itself if it had been passed down at all.
It can't be a recessive gene because then it would be rare for a witch/wizard who marries a muggle to produce a magical kid, which goes against copious evidence in the books.
It can't be incomplete dominance (tall pea plants crossed with short pea plants give medium height pea plants), where the child of a muggle and a magical person produces a child of dilute magic because then pure-blood maniacs would be right, and Harry, Snape, Voldemort, Seamus Finnegan etc would be vanish in puffs of logic.
It can't be co-dominance because that just doesn't make sense: you can't be magical and non magical at the same time.
You can't claim that this is a product of multiple genes working in combination because that would make this purely on/off action even more improbable.
(People who know more genetics than I do: did I get anything wrong? Do you know a way this can work with single gene control?)
The only way for this to work is if the gene randomly mutates far more frequently than is common for any other gene, producing squibs in the magical community who go on to live muggle lives, passing on their mutated gene for generations which randomly turns on again somewhere down the line. But this is nothing like anything seen in nature, mutations are random to the degree that even the TYPE of mutation is random - and for this gene to mutate in exactly the same way millions of times is bizarre.
It seems to me this is just another example where J. K. Rowling's woeful ignorance of a subject doesn't stop her from using it to give us nonsensical explanations anyway. Let's call this Her Sloppy Attitude, and move on to the following final astute observation:
Woman, when you have "spent the last seventeen years" plotting out a series whose central theme hinges on magical talent NOT being dependent on genetics, why would you go and blow it in a single throwaway line in some shitty interview? That's the Harry Potter Series she just mangled and handed to you in a plate, ladies and gentlemen. That's all for today, goodbye.
Your blogs are great..
ReplyDeleteI also read the recent interviews.. I feel that the 7th book made a complete mockery of the whole series. It appears that JKR couldnt keep the "facts" in the previous books straight herself.. I am terribly disappointed at what a sham this book has been..
I want my money back :D
Nandini Kappiah
Oh dear god. The interview is awful. I think many people use the word 'gene' as any inheritable trait, not the way good ol' Mendel intended.
ReplyDeleteLove the O RLY Hedwig :D
look, fine there were a few inconsistancies in the book... but seriously, why crib about a comment she made on genes!!
ReplyDeletejust stick to the books; they might not be *perfect*, but you can't deny they were an amazing read... stop harping on the mistakes in the plot, etc nan...just sit back and enjoy the book. She *is* human after all :-)
chitra
SPOILER ALERT
ReplyDeleteI agree it was mangled. But just for the sake of argument, would you agree if one proposed that the magical would probably behave very differently from regular genes? If it were that easy to isolate, it wouldn't really be that magical, would it?
What I found most embarassing in Deathly Hallows was the Weasly Family Reunion at the Battle of Hogwarts. Also the utterly wasteful way in which Lupin and Tonks were killed. To think, she once called Lupin her favourite character. Sigh!
@ Nandini:
ReplyDeleteOh I don't know if I want my money back... I couldn't NOT buy this book because after 7 years of obsessive fannishness I do demand closure (which this book gave me, in the form of complete disinterest in any character other than Harry and Grindelwald).
BTW, beautiful name. :)
@ Snowbeak:
I know! Why talk about something you obviously know nothing about? Why make it the basis of a reasonably large issue in your universe? Bah.
Do a wikipedia search for the O RLY owl - it's an old and extremelly popular meme. :)
@ Chitra:
I think it's fair to be disappointed that JKR doesn't take her world as seriously as *I* take her world - and I'm only a moderately rabid fan. You'd think someone who's earned a BILLION dollars from this would have enough sense to hire a fact checker (I would do it for free!) before publishing her books. She obviously can't even remember the things she said ONE WEEK ago (Ron = auror or Ron = Weasley shop??).
@ Vijayendra:
YES! That was so throwaway. It was SO throwaway that on my first read, I completely missed their "death scene", and kept wondering why Harry thought they were dead!
The O RLY is so cute!
ReplyDeleteNone of it is real, is it? She is just making it up as she goes. :)
-mockingbird
"why would Voldemort want to limit his time at Hogwarts by choosing to possess a guy who Voldemort himself has made sure will only last there for one year?"
ReplyDeleteMaybe because he expected to obtain the Philosopher's Stone within the year?
Never set yourself artificial time constraints like that... Evil Overlord Rule No. 467. :P In any case, what exactly was stopping Vapour!Mort from latching on to the first person he meets as he whooshes away from the dead Quirrel? Imagine how BADASS it would've been if we'd had Dumbledore!Mort next!
ReplyDeleteYou know what I hate about JKR's interview "revelations"? The fact that if they arent in the book, they are eventa-non-grata. If you wanted to say it, you shouldve said it in the fucking book. If you didnt say it in the book, shut the fuck up. I dont know any other author who does this. But that's maybe because few authors are so famous *and* so macro-incompetent.
ReplyDeleteYes, that's pretty much the gist of my sister's rant this morning (without the 'fuck's :P).. I agree wholeheartedly. She can shove this extra canon up any of her orifices for all I care - especially if she's going to joss HERSELF multiple times while she's at it. Macro-incompetent indeed!
ReplyDelete