Like many, many other people I am hooked on Heroes. It's important that you understand this is a near-miracle. I've never been a fan of TV dramas, and NBC's ridiculously overblown promotion of the series (starting from February last year for a fall premiere!) was enough to put anybody off it just to spite NBC. But the premiere was fantastic, and the quality of the episodes has flagged only slightly since, so I'm happy to give lend it my eyeballs for the hour.
Also, one Mr Mohinder Suresh, though ludicrously named, is rather easy on the eyes. :)
Except it bothers me. This niggling thought has been at the back of my mind for a few weeks now, but it grows stronger every week: Heroes is blatantly, insufferably sexist.
1. No female Hero has control over her body, her powers or her life. Claire Bennet is a minor at the mercy of her father (who until recently was possibly The Diabolical Villain). Now The Haitian and her biological grandmother have her. She's consistently kept in the dark about who she is, who her parents are, what dangers she faces, who's running her life - all in the name of "protecting" her. Her memories have been repeatedly erased, the final attempt was the only exception. Some Invincibility! Niki/ikiN (old habit, before Jessica had a name, we had to call her something), who I'll discuss in detail later, are at the pinnacle of this loss of control: Niki strips for a living, and she's helpless against ikiN who is ripping her life apart. The supposedly evil ikiN has no agenda of her own either - she's Linderman's stooge. And, mesdames et messieurs, that's it for the major female Heroes, a grand total of TWO. The minor ones are no better off: Claire's biological mother is a deadbeat loser who lives in a trailer, reduced to angling Claire as bait for a few thousand dollars from The Male Power in her life, Nathan Petrelli. That woman with SuperHearing was dead after speaking three lines flat. You won't remember Eden McCain, that pixie-ish chick who hung around Mohinder Suresh and was in reality a pawn of the "Paper Company". Another such pawn is the recently introduced Candice Wilmer, who we know next to nothing about except that, once more, she's a female Hero working for Men with Plans. 2. No strong woman is stronger than the men around her. I refer to ikiN, of course. Her supposed ability is SuperStrength, but when do we see it? In the first couple of episodes, the SuperStrength comes out when she's threatened with rape. After that, nada, no more. Her (ex?) husband D.L. comes along and overpowers her easily with his SuperPenetration (oooh, how manly). The only time we see her use her SuperStrength successfully in the later episodes is when she escapes from a female shrink - only to be easily subdued by male orderlies. WTF?
3. The female Heroes are not heroes. Jessica is a curse to Niki, because God forbid a woman enjoy her SuperStrength or do noble things with it. Even when ikiN uses her powers "for good", it is within the straitjacket of "womanliness" - to defend herself from rapists, to protect her child (ugh!). Niki has no personhood outside the "hot single mom" stereotype. And then there's her trip to the crazyhouse. Hey, women, show us your wildcat side and we'll lock you up! ikiN's done enough to deserve jail, maybe, but what's with the padded cell? This explicit reduction of Niki's "superpower" to actual insanity is not only emasculating (what a word I'm forced to use!) but also disturbing in its connotations. For two thousand years wombs were regarded as the seat of illogic and insanity, leaving us to deal with the remnants of those misogynistic suppositions even to this day via words like hysteria, hysterical, hysterectomy. And what can I say about Claire Bennet? She's just the Damsel in Distress - remember "Save the cheerleader, save the world"? Two perfunctory Heroic acts are thrown in to mix things up a little, but Claire, too, firmly and inexplicably regards her SuperHealing as a curse. Neither she nor Niki are heroes at all as long as they keep regarding their powers with such suspicion.There is no use pointing out to me the men who suffer from some of the same symptoms I've mentioned above. Nathan Petrelli is trapped in a stereotypically male role of protector of his little brother, is lied to about his daughter by the mother, etc. Hiro Nakamura is the the stereotypically cute and fluffly Japanese kid with a comic-book fetish. Sylar, you might say, is a bad, bad man, and why do they always make men the serial killers? And yet. Nathan is a complicated character with more to him than just "the protective elder brother". Mr. Bennet is far more than just "dad", as important as that role is to him and his story. Hiro, though a stereotype, is still his own agent in control of his own destiny - his father's objections to his quest were easily dealt with. More importantly, for every stereotypical male role in Heroes, you'll find two others that are not stereotypes. The very dearth of women Heroes makes the stereotypification of the availables ones more damning.
Now I must point out that there's one item I am deliberately not including in this list: that apart from Claire Bennet, all the female Heroes are evil (or generally bad eggs). The reason I am not complaining about this is that it doesn't matter whether a certain set of people (women, Germans, Black people, fat people, whatever) are shown as heroes or villains in the stories they appear. You heard me. It doesn't matter one whit. You could consistently make Muslim fanatics the villains in every one of your stories, but that wouldn't automatically mean you're racist or anti-Muslim or any of it.
Why? Because villains can be cool. Often they're so much cooler than the very-vanilla heroes, they take over their stories: think Hannibal Lecter, Gabbar Singh, Darth Vader. These people inspire fascination, even admiration. They're mysterious, complicated and smart as a whip.
That is the factor that shows Heroes up as sexist: are the female Heroes awesome? Do they get treated with the respect reserved for several of the male characters? Because it's no use having tons of female Heroes on the good side if they're just damsels in distress or bit parts... they should have important things to do, big shoes to grow into, just like the men. And there's no use having tons of Hot, Diabolical Wenches on the villainous side if they're just going to be following the orders of the men in charge... they should have their own agendas, their own minions, just like the men.
Interesting observation. I was of a similar opinion, but I am willing to overlook that thought. My point is, Heroes is shot more or less in comic-book style. If not, at least it is a tribute to the way comics are written or the way their stories pan out. Like many epics or fantasy stories, there will be incidents that might happen to our heroes that might change their character dramatically. I feel it is too early to talk about it. Jessica might rule over Niki's body but she might just manage to gain control, kill off Jessica and retain her powers to do good.
ReplyDeleteClaire (who is a kid still) might soon mature and turn out to be more sure of herself and her powers. It's hard enough for a child like her to retain sanity with all the strange things that happened around her... for that alone (and with her age in mind) she looked strong minded enough.
Finally about the sexist part, Peter Petrelli was hardly able to control anything with his body, when he went crying and begging to Claude to help him out. I thought Matt Parkman wasn't sure of himself too and found his partner FBI (woman) to be more authoritative than him. Ok she didn't have powers.
To conclude a long comment, I know it is tough for us to picture a woman pulling strings in a mostly Patriarchal society. The world is a changing but the comic book/fantasy universe (wonder woman, batgirl apart) is still more of macho/brave men doing brave deeds. Let's see how Heroes pans out. But it is making it harder and harder for me to watch 24 instead of Heroes. Thank god NBC streams their episodes the next day!
Hey, Piker, glad to meet you. That's an interesting comment there, with several debatable observations -
ReplyDelete@ The Piker: I feel it is too early to talk about it. Jessica might rule over Niki's body but she might just manage to gain control, kill off Jessica and retain her powers to do good.
Claire (who is a kid still) might soon mature and turn out to be more sure of herself and her powers.
Speculation of what may or may not happen in the future is irrelevant. We have reached the end of Season One and that is what I am assessing as sexist.
@ The Piker:Finally about the sexist part, Peter Petrelli was hardly able to control anything with his body...
Yes, I realise that. Like I said, there ARE male Heroes who are weak/confused/not in control. But there are also several male Heroes who ARE in control, too, and the same cannot be said for the women. ALL the female Heroes are under someone else's thumb. ALL.
@ The Piker: ... it is tough for us to picture a woman pulling strings in a mostly Patriarchal society.
!!!!
No, it isn't. The fact that it's difficult for *you* proves why sexism is no laughing matter.
@ The Piker: The ... the comic book/fantasy universe (wonder woman, batgirl apart) is still more of macho/brave men doing brave deeds.
What's the use of giving women superhero powers if being macho/brave is Reserved For Men? The show's premise demands that women be included as well, and there's no excuse for not doing so.
I totally agree. Personally I've been getting more than a little bugged with the series for this. (And the fact that I think there are too many coincidences, but anyway...)
ReplyDeleteHonestly, I was hoping that the bad Niki would be the 'real' Niki, because the good was just too spineless for me to like her. The bad Niki actually knows what she wants -- 1) Security for her kid. 2) Money. 3) To get that deadbeat husband out of the way.
(It turns out that the husband isn't as repulsive as I hoped he'd be. Still don't know why he had to be shown as such an irrtatingly nice person.)
And yes, I really, REALLY can't understand why Jessica couldn't tear out of that straitjacket like it was toilet paper.
Peter is finally, FINALLY, shaping up to something that doesn't make me want to tear my hair out, but it looks like he's going psychotic too, so my feelings there are mixed.
As for Claire... I KNOW 16 year-olds are horomonal and all, but you'd think she wouldn't have to spend more than half her screen time CRYING. Her intro was SO cool -- with all the suicide attempts, remember? I thought it would give her a sense of invulnerability that would lead to all sorts of cool stuff, and that only an encounter with Sylar (who'd rip her scalp off and 'learn' her ability) would teach her some humility...
But no. Apparently, being related to Wolverine comes second to being a CHEERLEADER. Stupid.
-Anukool
they are ALL messes though - Issac is a junkie, nathan is a philandering sleazebag, parkman is insipid and boring (not necessarily "bad" but still). peter is all lost and lame.
ReplyDeleteClaire is THE bad ass of the show. some asshole tries to rape her, she gets revenge. she is 16 and "
different" obviously she thinks it is a curse but when push comes to shove - she walks into burning buildings to save people - sure she regenerates, but no one said she doesn't feel pain.
niki/ikin - whole story line is lame. i agree with that one. i am not even sure what her power is - super strength or being a whackjob. but as far as the police goes - she is a classic and violent schizophrenic - obviously she gets a padded cell.
@ Anukool: Peter is finally, FINALLY, shaping up to something that doesn't make me want to tear my hair out...
ReplyDeleteYesssss! Did you see that bloody annoying lock of hair fall to the floor as Sylar began to slit his head open? I was cheering!
@ Anukool: But no. Apparently, being related to Wolverine comes second to being a CHEERLEADER.
*gag* Americans. Their romantic ideals are the strangest things. You know that question people always want to ask kids - what do you want to be when you grow up? The American version of that is: if it's a boy, "So, do you want to be a fireman when you grow up?" and if it's a girl, "So, do you want to be a princess when you grow up?"
Princess! How retarded is that?!
@ Brown Magic: they are ALL messes though - Issac is a junkie, nathan is a philandering sleazebag, parkman is insipid and boring (not necessarily "bad" but still). peter is all lost and lame.
Right. But Nathan Petrelli is also dashing and good (plus it's not really philandering if you have your wife's permission to sleep around), Hiro Nakamura is inspiring, D.L. is the essence of Goodness and Responsibility, The Haitian is laconic and wise... For every weak male, there is at least one corresponding strong male. I'm not saying men are glorified in this series, I'm saying women are singled out for consistent denigration.
@ Brown Magic: ...but as far as the police goes - she is a classic and violent schizophrenic - obviously she gets a padded cell. ikiN is NOT violently insane! She's calm, logical, and very in-control. Do you think all hit-men should be put in padded cells? Yes, the Niki/ikiN duo do exemplify the classic split personality (not schizophrenia), but that is what I am objecting to: that Niki's superpower is turned into a mental disease. Why?
not violently insance? she has killed (and with great relish) how many people?
ReplyDeletethe police don't know it is Ikin doing the killing. it is niki who talks about how her dead sister Jessica is killing people and then offers herself up to the police for the murder of DL's crew, the two guys in the garage and those other guys when hiro and ando were in the room. she kills people and it is FUN for her. and then she wakes up and is Niki who is nice and normal.
split personality or schizo - clearly mentally ill(the police aren;t in on the powers thing)? she tasered the hell out of her shrink! c'mon. the mentally ill get padded cells. it isn't sexist.
D.L. is clearly a completely useless father and goes running like a little baby to Niki because he can't raise Micah (which isn't that hard). Hiro is an idiot. a sweet one, but an idiot. the haitian is bad ass but answers to nathan's mom so hows that for who's in charge.
and Niki is a decent and loving mom to Micah. and Jessica looks out for him too. those things are never contested. Eden shot herself to prevent Sylar from getting her power - sacrifice making her noble. Charlie was a good sweet person before sylar offed her. no denigration there, either.
there are problems with the show (bad dialogues, mohinder's accent) but sexist? really? Invincable cheerleader! - the most girly archetype is totally and completely badass.
ok, i'll stop hogging the comment space now.
u missed out one minor female character (not sure if I missed it)..dun remember her name, she has the amazing memory and can learn very fast..but she meets Hiro and Ando in the small restaurant and Hiro goes back n forth in time to save her.
ReplyDeleteI have a feeling that Linderman and Nathan's mom have something in common...which could be why they are both aware of the powers of the kids and grandkids?
ReplyDeleteHmm.. I really agree with what you've had to say (aside from the comment about Americans, we're not all the same you know ;). I only tuned into the pilot of Heroes, because I thought it looked pretty cool. But when I saw that the only two female heroes (main characters) were a stripper and cheerleader and blonde it was too much. I was willing to look past that until I heard the cheerleader whining how she only wanted to be popular or whatever after just sticking her hand in a garbage disposal and walking through an inferno. Complete bull. (btw I agree that the whole cheerleader- jock thing is very american but not a stereotype i've ever found anything but disgusting. At my high school the cheerleaders were not the height of popularity. My father always raised me to want to be an engineer, or microbiologist instead of a princess but I do understand where your coming from.)
ReplyDeleteAnd dont get me started on what i've just read about the mentally ill and padded cells. I have two parents in the health care profession who work with the mentally ill every day. Straitjackets are amazingly easy to get out of, and there's a big difference between schizophrenia and multiple personalities.
Oh, and I have to assume Claire doesnt feel pain, otherwise I think she might avoid the whole 50 different suicidal leaps.
And as for comics revering 'macho men' they are chock full of strong women, good and bad. Lets see, Cat Woman, Super Woman, Elektra, those are the few I know, and I'm honestly not a person who reads comics (other than Calvin and Hobbes but thats not really the same :) Heroes has no excuse here. Its absolutely ridiculous, and I can't believe more people dont notice this in such a popular show.