We all know "music directors" in India routinely rip off english songs, right? Think Ram-Laxman in Maine Pyaar Kiya - from Aate Jaate to the unforgivable Mere Rang Me, the tunes were instantly recognisable even to a frog-in-the-well like me whose mother banned MTV at home. Absolutely routine.
Let me guarantee this: even the most cynical of you is in for a rude shock at ItwoFS.
I've only had time for a quick skim, and here are some of the shockers I came up with:
- Om Shanti Om from Karz is a note-by-note copy of calypso and reggae artiste Lord Shorty's 1974 song titled - wait for it - Shanti Om.
- Jumma Chumma De De from Hum is a blatant lift of Guinean singer Mory Kante's Tama Tama
- Suniye To from Yes Boss is a complete copy of Ahla Ma Feki by Hisham Abbas
... You know, I'll stop listing the transgressions now: it's making me mad, and you can look it up yourself in any case.
One last mention, though. Remember the song ABCDEFGHI.... from Hum Saath Saath Hain? Unmatched in sheer inanity of lyrics (the whole alphabet, plus an "I love you", THAT'S IT!), it comes as quite a whopper to know that our old friends Ram-Laxman copied the tune, bringing their effective creative contribution on this song to zero. Apparently, it's from a song called Por que te vas? from the 1974 Spanish movie Cria Cuervos. Listen to the clip on ItwoFS (search for 'ABCD' on this page). Slap forehead. Repeat for every other song listed.
Happy listening.
Nice site!
ReplyDeleteI was so disappointed when I read about "Akele Hain to kya gum hain" from QSQT! :(
-Pinky
I know. :P I think the worst for me were the Karz and Parineeta songs.
ReplyDeleteThat guy runs a blog called "Milliblog" ( google). So he reviews Desi Music Albums in less than 100 words. Superb stuff. And he has top 7 listens every now and then.
ReplyDeleteA must add to your RSS reader.
visit
ReplyDeletewww.plagiarismarchive.com
to listen to all the song copies occuring in bollywood..also include scenes and poster plagiarism