But I'm doing this, and so should you. It's verrry simple, actually:
- Call 1-800-593-6667. (USA only, sorry.)
- Say, "Yo, put me on the bone marrow donor list, yo."
- Give them your name and address.
- Open your mailbox a couple of days later to find the home test kit.
- Stick a piece of cotton in your mouth to get inner-cheek cells on it.
- Put said piece of cotton in the baggie provided and mail it back in the stamped envelope, also provided.
- Feel good about yourself.
That's all. No cost involved. More importantly, no needles involved. Come on.
I dont think you've researched this enough. A bone marrow donation means they put about 50 needles in your hip, extract a liter of marrow and leave your lower back sore for two weeks. Not to mention the minor, but existent, risk of complications. I wouldnt do this for a stranger, not without an ulterior motive!
ReplyDelete- saurabh
Also in this capitalistic world of today, why dont they pay for marrow or blood for that matter. It seems it is illegal everywhere but their reasons seem weak to me.
ReplyDelete- saurabh
My medical knowledge comes mainly from House (sometimes Scrubs, when I'm not laughing my A off).. but I believe BM donation is extremely painful, and like saurabh pointed out, it would be extremely hard for me to think about doing it for a stranger.. it is admirable that you are considering this. So how does it work, you send them back the cotton swab, and if everything checks out, they have you on the list and will request your help when the need arises?
ReplyDeleteYes, that's how it works. I sent it back a couple of days ago.
ReplyDeleteBut Saurabh was right to say I hadn't researched this enough before signing on. I didn't know it was THAT painful, and I am somewhat pissed off with the donor information packet that completely misrepresents it: "Minor discomfort for a few days". That sounds like, I don't know, when you clip your nails too close and it stings for a few days afterwards.
But I'm signing on anyway because something philanthropic in me has stirred. If they match me to someone and I actually have to donate marrow, I'll do some more research, talk to actual donors, maybe, and reassess before taking the plunge. :) i'm not exactly the brave kind.
whoa!!! are u crazzzzyyyy??? you'r actually thinking about have FIFTY freaking needles in your hips! OMG!! How come saurabh's letting you?
ReplyDeleteWHY cant you do some social service instead; its *so* much easier!
sheesh!
chitra