Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Figs

I'm getting into it a little late, but it's National Poetry Month (wonder who makes these things up). I like poetry - or at least pretend to. The awful secondary school I went to put a stop to us elite pure-science students wasting time on stuff like literature, and that was that.

But enough of my life's sad story. Once in a while I do come across a poem that I miraculously "get" - it's a great feeling. One of them is Edna St. Vincent Millay's First Fig, a poem you've probably seen quoted everywhere. It turns out she wrote a Second Fig on the same theme:
First Fig
My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--
It gives a lovely light!

Second Fig
Safe upon the solid rock the ugly houses stand:
Come and see my shining palace built upon the sand!
I get the second one less than the first - but oh, the first! Once every few weeks my life becomes First Fig. Self-destructive, hedonistic, ridiculous, crazy, stupid? Yeah. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends, there's no pleasure like a guilty pleasure.


Questions? Observations? Leave your smart, biting queries in the comments, and I'll get 'em on Ask Me Anything Day!

1 comment:

  1. I prefer:


    Luke 6
    48 "he is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid a foundation on the rock..."

    49 "But the one who has heard and has not acted accordingly, is like a man who built a house on the ground..."



    Also, what of the fig tree?


    See you my unbelieving neighbor!

    ReplyDelete

Fixin' to move

Bored and restless am I. It's time to move on from this "wendelin" business. I'm fixing up a new place to get properly res...