Does anybody know where I can find an actual picture of that cartoon published in retaliation to the protests in a French newspaper - the head of prophet Mohammad made up of lines that say, "I must not draw Mohammad"? What a hoot, and nobody seems to be publishing it. Bloody cowards.
As for all this hue and cry, I have only this to say: dudes, if you'd been one tenth as outraged every time one of your kids blows himself up (killing a bunch of infidels with him, of course), the world would be oh so very different.
I mean in a good way, dumass. :P
There's people setting off bombs because they feel insulted, you know, that's what gets me. Insult = mandate for killing. Talk about screwed up priorities, eh?
I just don't get it... why is everyone so willing to make excuses for religion when anything like this happens? If Palestinians send a suicide bomber to martyr herself, it's not because of religion, it's because of human weaknesses, corruption at the top and general misguidedness. If Israelis retaliate by blowing up 100 muslims across their borders, it's the 'vicious cycle of violence' that is to blame, never religion.
Look, there are people explicitly stating that they're dying to die (and kill) for Allah. Why don't we take them at their word? Islam is a militant religion. Any obscure passage in the Koran you can point me to that says, "don't kill" and "don't harm yourself" is less than BULL in the face of all the hundreds of passages that suggest otherwise in no uncertain terms. There's 72 dark-eyed virgins waiting in paradise for any martyr, you know. (Damned if you're a lesbian, right? The minute you start taking advantage of all the victory spoils in paradise, you're struck down to hell.)
Lest y'all think I'm singling out Islam for my barrage of (ooooh) insults, I hasten to include in this rant Christiany, Judaism and any other religion whose texts can possibly be interpreted in violent ways (if it can be interpreted, it will). Dudes, the only reason you're not getting specifically lambasted right now is that for the moment, it's someone else that's mucking up the world. Wait your turn. I will gladly dish it out to you, too. In the meantime, you might take a look at your religious texts, and see if they are in fact all that different from the Koran.
That's all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Fixin' to move
Bored and restless am I. It's time to move on from this "wendelin" business. I'm fixing up a new place to get properly res...
-
As I type up last Friday's blog inviting questions for the weekly "Ask Me Anything Day", Saurabh looks over my shoulder. Click...
-
Yes, there have been no updates lately, but that is because - well - With a view towards relaxation and general surfing, I trolled LJ for fu...
-
. I have yet again managed to rip my schedule to shreds and shamelessly shy away from work. I need to do something about it... and what bet...
Le Monde published the 'I must not draw Mohammad' cartoon (image from this page).
ReplyDeleteAlso, line of the day from a timeline of free speech: 'If you're in favour of free speech, then you're in favour of freedom of speech precisely for views you despise'.
The irony of this whole free-speech argument that you put forth is that your blog is moderated. Why is that so? Even if a nut-case posts demeaning/insulting comments which affect you or your family personally (just as it does to many many Muslims all over the world), it is his/her right, is it not?
ReplyDeletekhomeini: My comments policy is here.
ReplyDeleteArtanis: Thanks!
Oh, and in any case, I don't *have* to allow free speech for all on this blog in order to support its cause, because the blog is my personal space. The right to free speech is not an obligation to provide others the means for it.
ReplyDeleteBut that's fine, you can say any sort of inflammatory stuff here. I reserve the right to make fun of you (and your name).
Wake up and smell the fatwa...
ReplyDeleteThats why I like to (without shame) refer to myself as a Hindu though I myself believe that Hinduism as an 'organised religion' is a British concoction.
ReplyDeleteOur scriptures leave it sufficiently vague and contradictory so that everyone can make their conclusions and some can let themselves be confused without guilt. Almost to the point that you can be an agnostic (for all practical purposes) and yet not get shamed for being a 'non-believer'
BTW Khomeini - the blog is probably moderated to avoid the 'buy viagra' and 'free porn and AIDS' ads. It is also free speech but your valuable comments might get lost in the crowd.
They all say that a few bad apples have spoilt the basket.
ReplyDeleteI say tsk tsk..