Friday, January 27, 2006

Tagged or Spammed?

Dude called Matty goes and tags me with some game. Now, this is a completely random dude. Never heard of him. But that would be OK, if only this ridiculous guy didn't call me "baby" in the very first sentence he has ever addressed to me ("You're tagged, baby!!!"). Also note the liberal application of exclamation marks, which is the typed equivalent of the words "you're going to love this", evidence of pompous presumption.

But I'm still willing to give the dude a chance. After all, I've never been tagged by anyone for anything before, poor little me (most of my memes are gathered from LJ Harry Potter communities that I browse often), so I head on over to where this link points. The game: "The tagged victim has to come up with 8 different points about their perfect lover."

Excellent. Electronic equivalent of 'spin-the-bottle'. How delightfully juvenile.

Not to mention, hello, I am married. You already know my idea of my - ah - "perfect lover", don't you? Or was it the juicy, intimate details of my marriage this man wanted?

You know... I just might have played along and told him... if he hadn't spelt my name wrong. No, hang on, never mind. Forget about MY name - I'll settle for him spelling his own name right. Matty, indeed.

-------------------------------

In case you're wondering, don't - I do know this was some truly random person tagging truly random people in hopes of perhaps getting some attention - and an increased page-hit count for his blog. Just one notch above outright spam, definitely failing the test of "is this cricket?" I just felt like ranting about it because this seems to me to be the beginning of a trend. It's not machine-distributed spam any more that's plaguing my inbox, it's random people in search of attention.

I'm active on a few writing forums and blogs, and I link back to this blog in my signatures in most places. I suppose that's how they find me. Lately, I've been getting emails to the effect of: Dear WtW, I just self-published a book, please buy it, read it and review it on your blog. Uh, no, thanks. You letter speaks volumes about your dramatic flair and imagination.

I think it takes a certain type of person to do this random self-promotion thing. Just the right mixture of dull-o-rama (notice how rarely they have anything interesting to say) and delusions of grandeur (total strangers will love playing spin-the-bottle with me / shelling out 10 bucks to read and review my crappy book).

It strikes me that this is also the personality type of stalkers, including my old-faithful Narayandas Murali Krishna (sorry, sorry, Krsna - notice common theme of name-spelling). Perhaps I have found myself another one in this Matty. If so, sit back and enjoy. I promise to approve all his comments for publication here, it should be good timepass.
Tags:

1 comment:

  1. Atleast machine generated spam has a commercial motive to it - people doing something for their livelihood or atleast for the extra cash to buy porn CDs (if they are sufficiently nourished and clothed!).

    Attention seeking spam! The curse of the internet age - attention has been democratised to include a fair chance for losers.

    Before I condemn it any more, I am intrigued - how different are we with our blogs from those with their comments??

    ReplyDelete

Fixin' to move

Bored and restless am I. It's time to move on from this "wendelin" business. I'm fixing up a new place to get properly res...