There's something about having a birthday that makes you think about how you're going to grow old. Even if the birthday is a 24th birthday. :P
So I was thinking: I take after my dad's side of the family, physically speaking. My grandmother has arthritis (the osteo kind, rheumatoid is for sissies). My dad's sisters all have osteoarthritis. AFAIK, it's been in the family for generations. It's a pretty safe bet I'm going to have it.
Point Number One: Arthritis sucks.
Point Number Two: The kind that's in my family really sucks, because my aunts have all been slowly losing mobility since they turned 50. By the time they're 75 they're going to need a wheelchair all the time.
Point Number Three: You can bet they're going to live to see 75, and more. Longevity also runs in the family, too - grandmother is 90-something. So cross "quick, merciful death" off my list of coping strategies.
My thinking is, people, I don't want to have this disease. The internet, however, is woefully inadequate when it comes to how to prevent arthritis. They have diets and exercise regiments and everything planned out for heart disease, and I was hoping something along those lines for arthritis, too, seeing as how it affects 80% of the population over 50... but nada. Nothing.
I did have some site tell me I shouldn't do exercises that put repeated, jerky pressure on my knees (like running), but I already knew that.
So anyone here know anything about the exercises to do and the foods to eat that'll gently encourage my cartilege and inter-jointal fluid to hang around till I'm definitely dead?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Fixin' to move
Bored and restless am I. It's time to move on from this "wendelin" business. I'm fixing up a new place to get properly res...
-
As I type up last Friday's blog inviting questions for the weekly "Ask Me Anything Day", Saurabh looks over my shoulder. Click...
-
Yes, there have been no updates lately, but that is because - well - With a view towards relaxation and general surfing, I trolled LJ for fu...
-
. I have yet again managed to rip my schedule to shreds and shamelessly shy away from work. I need to do something about it... and what bet...
In 30 yrs, there will be a cure - saurabh
ReplyDeleteWhat logic! In 30 years they're also going to have replaceable hearts and stomach-dwelling tapeworms, but that doesn't mean I load up on sat fats now.
ReplyDeletea) weight-bearing exercises: i forgot, is that for arthritis or for osteoporosis? no matter, they're both bad.
ReplyDeleteb) there is some research on supplements (7 seas makes one i think: cod liver oil + glucosamine). the problem is that you have to be certain about the quality and dosage of the supplements that you're taking.
c) re saurabh: the appropriate response would be that you'd take care of her, bad joints notwithstanding. :D
Thanks Chewie. The only problem, though, is do you (or they) really know this stuff's going to help? Bloody scientists keep changing their minds... what if tomorrow they start saying weight-bearing exercises exacerbate (try saying the last two words quickly, 3 times) the arthritis. :P
ReplyDeleteBut yeah, Saurabh has a point. 30 years is far enough ahead for me to not worry about it now... Then again, it's good to have the info.
GOD! I forgot ur birthday!!!!!!! :'''''''''''''''''''''''''''(
ReplyDeleteHAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:) thanks.
ReplyDeleteswim
ReplyDeleteYoga.
ReplyDelete