My agent and publishers are working vigorously to get them taken down. Google’s "opt-out" process doesn’t seem to actually exist, except in Google’s publicity literature.
If the author, the agent, and the publisher have all requested removal of the material, and the material is still there, define "opt-out." You know?
Here's a link to her post detailing her email exchanges with Google.
As for those of you who're still wondering why all the fuss, here's another piece of information that might make you think:
[B]y using [Google Print's] addititional search tool and a bit of thoughtful questioning, I was able to read directly through one [of my] book[s], page by page, by page. I went through more than a hundred pages without a pause or even backing up before I decided that my method gave much more of the book than the Google promotional literature claims, and probably all of it.
I can't find any of Holly Lisle's books on google print.
ReplyDeleteEh? The link your provide turns up three novels (which, BTW, is less than what used to be there; perhaps some of Holly's emails have reached the right people).
ReplyDeleteThis is wierd! I clicked on the link again and I am getting no results:
ReplyDeleteYour search - inauthor:"Holly Lisle" - did not match any documents.
Suggestions:
- Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
- Try different keywords.
- Try more general keywords.
- Try fewer keywords.
This is weird... Where are you located? Perhaps Google Print caches are different in different areas.. Tell you what, try a search for one of Holly Lisle's characters, like "Molly McColl" or "Feegash". Might turn up something - these searches turn up 4-5 books each when I try.
ReplyDeleteFor an author search, this is what shows up for me:
Courage of Falcons
by Holly Lisle - 2001 - 464 pages
Page - If you purchase this book without a rover you should be aware that this book may
have been stolen property and reported as “unsold and destroyed” to the ...
[ More results from this book ]
Memory of Fire: Book One of The World Gates
by Holly Lisle - Fiction - 2002 - 384 pages
Page - This is a work of fiction, Names, characters, places, and incidents are products
of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously and are not to be ...
[ More results from this book ]
Talyn: A Novel of Korre
by Holly Lisle - Fiction - 2005 - 524 pages
Page 4 - This is a work of fiction. All the characters and events portrayed in this novel
are either fictitious or are used fictitiously. ...
[ More results from this book ]
Hi,
ReplyDeleteFor ["Molly McColl"] I get no results, while for [Molly McColl] I get the following:
Natural Advantage of Nations: Business Opportunities, Innovation and Governance in the 21st Century
edited by Karlson "Charlie" Hargroves, Michael Harrison Smith - Business & Economics - 2005 - 416 pages
Page 474 - ... for Sustainable Development, 1996—2000 chaired by Molly Harris Olsen. ...
Professor Mike Young and Jim McColl from CSIRO have outlined a detailed, ...
[ More results from this book ]
Boom for Whom?: Education, Desegregation, and Development in Charlotte
by Stephen Samuel Smith - Education - 2004 - 328 pages
Page 153 - ... 77—23 percent by Molly Griffin, an attorney who was encouraged to run by Tate
and received support from a steering committee that included Hugh McColl, ...
[ More results from this book ]
Soil Biochemistry
edited by G Stotzky, Jean-Marc Bollag - 1991 - 418 pages
Page 50 - Ross, DJ, TW Speir, DJ Giltrap, BA McNeilly, and LF Molly. ... , K., MK Firestone,
and JG McColl. 1983. Acid rain and soil microbial activity: effects and ...
[ More results from this book ]
Merchant Vessels of the United States...: (including Yachts)
by United States. Coast Guard - 1869
Page 409
[ More results from this book ]
Annotated Bibliography of Southern American English
by James B McMillan, Cynthia M McMillan - Reference - 1989 - 464 pages
Page 433 - ... John 3.297 McColl, Eleanor T. 6.374 McCord, May Kennedy 2.276 McCormick, ...
, AW 6.393 Mack, Linda D. 2.283 Mack, Molly 12.18 Mackert, CU 1.483 Macon, ...
[ More results from this book ]
None of them are from the same author. I am from Mumbai.
Okay, I did the same search from a machine in US, and I am getting results for inauthor:"Holly Lisle".
hmm..
This might be the reason... but it doesn't explain why I am still getting results, but not you.
ReplyDeleteThis is crazy weird.