Thursday, August 18, 2005

Oh, for heaven's sake!

Saw this on Lehmun's blog: WTF?!

What I want to know is: since when has dancing been considered sinful in Indian culture? This takes the whole "apeing the West" thing to a ridiculous level - what the hell are we doing inheriting Catholic existential guilt? I would have understood (sort of) if laws were passed regarding the way people dress in bars - at least that would have been "justifiable" in terms of traditional values or whatever grounds they're using now. They could have made "modest" dress codes mandatory, they could have banned the playing of whatever they consider to be "lewd" songs... but targeting dancing is bullshit.

And listen to this:
‘‘The new law is for the good of the people. Why should people stay out late and spoil their own health. We have spoken to a lot of people and learnt that the law has not affected them,’’ says Deputy Commissioner of Police (admn) B Shivakumar.


Are you kidding me?!

7 comments:

  1. ok I'm not in Bangalore, so I'm not sure how this can be executed...

    but... how about a night long "protest" party! need some blogger bandwidth here, it can happen!

    So the idea is simple. Its a flash-mob of people dancing all around the city, after hours obviously!

    C'mon Bangalore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, the "health" of the ppl comment was what incensed me as well.

    - Lehmunade

    ReplyDelete
  3. The political opportunist in me shall gladly point out that this bit of shameless populism (toward so called indian culture) is being done not by the BJP or the Sangh Parivar but by the Congress (not that if the Sangh Parivar did it, it would be any more acceptable, its just that this is the sort of thing they would normally do).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Umm, I don't know. I got two left feet but I do like dance, but Indias, if I am to risk generalizations like this, tend to exaggerate. Dance bars had been banned in Bombay too, and though I do not like culture police, I don't think its too unjustified, a very good proportion of them were almost prostitution centers. As of selctive banning idea, well its very difficult to inforce them, and probably it was a decent compromise, police has got better things to do than roam around night clubs, not that I am saying that they do.

    As of his wordings, they weren't as polished as it could be, give him a slack, you are nitpicking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not the polish of the words... it's the ludicrousness of the ideas he's expressing. He wants to be a good papa and put all Bangaloreans to bed at a reasonable hour? He asked many people what they thought and found that not many were affected by the law?

    Breakdown of logic is the worst irritant in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heh, you stole my line, Anonymous..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Came here searching for adult adult adult dating dating.info online online personals photo

    Not a bad site you got here mate!

    Check out mine
    All about
    adult adult adult dating dating.info online online personals photo

    ReplyDelete

Fixin' to move

Bored and restless am I. It's time to move on from this "wendelin" business. I'm fixing up a new place to get properly res...