So the clocks have moved forward (or back, depending on how you think of it) 1 hour. It should be 2:15 p.m. now, but it's 3:15 p.m. instead. On Sunday, I slept till 10:30 a.m. despite only actually sleeping till 9:30 a.m. As if my life wasn't confusing enough already.
Now, I get why in summer-time it makes sense to make the clocks such that we have more daylight in the evening. Sure. Go ahead. What I don't get is why we have to bloody go and change the clocks back again in winter. Who cares if the sun isn't fully up when you're driving to work at 7 a.m.? Millions of people in Singapore manage, simply because they want to keep up with Hong Kong, time-wise, and I don't see why Americans can't.
But arbitrarily losing a whole hour has put me in a ruminative mood.
Everyone is so concerned with moving TIME back and forth, nobody ever thinks that maybe they should move other things back and forth... like CALIFORNIA for instance. Californians get so weird all by themselves on the west coast, and I think they could benefit greatly from moving to the east for half the year... provided Florida gets moved somewhere else like Canada, which would save the speedo clad Canadians a lot of time and money. Or we could put both of them in the same place for half a year, because mixing Florida and California would... well, it would just put all the weirdness in one place. It's no less arbitrary than changing time around, what.
How about we arrange the Red (Republican) and the Blue (Democrat) states so that the aerial view would be a big smiley face? Or maybe just mix 'em up and make purple everywhere. Think about it: the United States of Barney. I'm sure they would be a lot saner for the mixing, anyway.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Fixin' to move
Bored and restless am I. It's time to move on from this "wendelin" business. I'm fixing up a new place to get properly res...
-
As I type up last Friday's blog inviting questions for the weekly "Ask Me Anything Day", Saurabh looks over my shoulder. Click...
-
Yes, there have been no updates lately, but that is because - well - With a view towards relaxation and general surfing, I trolled LJ for fu...
-
. I have yet again managed to rip my schedule to shreds and shamelessly shy away from work. I need to do something about it... and what bet...
No thanks!!
ReplyDeleteThere's a great mnemonic which someone told me recently to remember the switch:
"Spring Forward .. Fall Back"
Yeah I know. But *why*?
ReplyDeleteYeah, but the clocks do get set back later in the year. So the hour you lost now will be gained then, or you can possibly think, the extra hour u had gained in the previous year was utilized now.
ReplyDeleteWhat do u mean "or back". Who is fool enough to move clock 11 hrs behind rather than 1 ahead.
ReplyDeletemayb in sometime (near future...or maybe its already ther), you wouldnt have to move your clock...it might just move itself.
ReplyDeletethen you wont feel so bad cos you wouldnt even know it has happened
:)
cool...wish it happened here... I mean, imagine 'skipping' a 1 hour test cause the clocks got set forward and the sheduled time just got *lost*! haahaa... cool ah!
ReplyDeleteHey there Wendelin The Weird! Liked your blog, especially your post about A Whole Hour Gone. I have a site where you can get more info about own product. If that interest you , feel free to take a look here: http://www.checkourproducts.com Thanks!
ReplyDelete