The last time I spoke to my mom, she told me she'd gone jewellery shopping with the boyfriend's mom.
I mean, how cool is that? They're getting along... yay!
But before I could celebrate too much, mummy dearest dumped the next load of Heavy-Thought Provoking Information on my head. This hadn't happened for almost three weeks at this point - and I should have known it was too good to last.
She told me what jewellery she'd bought for me.
I'd rather not go into a lot of detail here, thanks very much, but for the purposes of conveying what I need to convey to get on with the post, let me just say rubies and emeralds figured into it. And gold, of course. Gold's the star of the show.
I feel like the frickin' Queen of Sheba. Except, perhaps, that the Queen of Sheba actually wanted her camels laden with peacocks, ivory and apes, whereas I will probably never wear the said items of jewellery ever again after the wedding.
Not that it isn't totally sweet of my parents to do this. It's tradition and whatnot, too, and I - I used up my iconoclasm quota wrt this wedding a long time ago, so I'm not even going to try to do anything about it.
But... you know... it's hard not to get a bit freaked when your fiance suggests that maybe we should buy a safe (yes, an actual safe), because all of a sudden, we have valuables.
Speaking of my fiance, let me assure you: if he's ever referred to me as 'my lady' - let alone 'Dear Madam' - in all of nearly seven years that I have known him, I'll eat my substantial stock of jewellery. Methinks the man fancies himself British, 'my dear' and all.
:P
(And that, dear, is an outed tongue.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Fixin' to move
Bored and restless am I. It's time to move on from this "wendelin" business. I'm fixing up a new place to get properly res...
-
As I type up last Friday's blog inviting questions for the weekly "Ask Me Anything Day", Saurabh looks over my shoulder. Click...
-
Yes, there have been no updates lately, but that is because - well - With a view towards relaxation and general surfing, I trolled LJ for fu...
-
. I have yet again managed to rip my schedule to shreds and shamelessly shy away from work. I need to do something about it... and what bet...
a) you can always get a safe deposit box at the bank (unless you were thinking of dbs!)
ReplyDeleteb) why not think about re-setting some of the jewellery? am sure tiny rubies will make for a smashing bracelet, which you can then wear more often :)
c) welcome to wedding-world. :) am just wondering how you're going to be able to bring back all those gifts without incurring the wrath of US Customs. :)
Bank and re-setting sound good ideas. If you don't want to take the whole lot along with you at one go, maybe you could leave a little behind with your parents, and pick it up on your next visit? Or have them bring it when they visit you.
ReplyDeleteThe fiance's she-said-he-said post was funny :)
Hi!
ReplyDeleteJust checking.
Read my new "Kissa"@
http://kissay.rediffblogs.com
Hi!
ReplyDeleteJust checking.
Read my new "Kissa"@
http://kissay.rediffblogs.com
Hi!
ReplyDeleteJust checking.
Read my new "Kissa"@
http://kissay.rediffblogs.com
Hey Nandini,
ReplyDeleteStumbled upon your blog today. Congrats on your marriage :)