Monday, February 14, 2005

Wedding Blog: An Appointed Hour

It was three days before the end of the Fall semester, with 2 major exams still to go, and a project due the next day. I was overworked and completely frazzled, and that, no doubt, was the reason why I forgot to take my cell phone with me that day when I left for school.

I got back home at around 6 pm, hungry and dizzy from having dashed off a project report in 3 hours flat. There was a voice message waiting for me on my phone.

"Hi Nanda..."

Ah. My mum's voice. (I will kill anyone who laughs at my nickname.)

"We met his parents with a purohit yesterday, and fixed your wedding date. It's the 18th of May. I'll call you later. Bye."

*SPROIIINNNNNG*

(Which, as you may have guessed, was the sound of my mattress springs revolting against the sudden, sharp descent of my butt onto it.)

I tried to make coherent sounds from my mouth for a while, and then I tried to remember the boyfriend's work phone extension number, and failed at both.

When my roommate came in a minute later, she found me sitting at my desk and staring at nothing. So she said, "What's up?"

I told her I was getting married on May 18th, yes, May 18th, it's all fixed, my mom just left a message in my voice mail saying so. Then, all of a sudden, I was crying, and my roomie was perpetrating her own assault on the mattress springs.

About 10 raving minutes later, I pulled the strings of my sanity together a bit, and, having recalled the boyfriend's extension number at work, I called him and told him the news. He took it really well. "Oh, really? That's nice."

Which started me crying again.

***


(4 hours later, on the phone)

"Oh, #@$#, I can't believe my mom just left a message like that. So coolly. Oh my God, we're getting freakin' married!"

"...*Groooaaan*..."

"What, what's that supposed to mean?"

"Aah... nothing... just..."

"WHAT?"

"Umm... do we really have to do this in summer?"

"...."

"Summer in India sucks. Summer here is great. People all over the world are going to be coming here for summer, and I'm going to-"

"...."

"No, no - it's not like that! I don't not want to marry you... it's just... Can't we get married in December?"

And that was when I telephonically killed the boyfriend, thereby removing the necessity for a wedding at all.

9 comments:

  1. You getting married!
    You getting married!
    Nandini is getting married!

    Hehhe, have fun and congrats!
    Divya

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaahaa.... he said that...! heehee... you know saurabh's kinda right... summers here suck! my friends were laughing their heads off when they got to know we were getiing married in summer! esp... in the HOTTEST part!hmm.... looking on the bright side...
    you can go get yourself a totally...ah... how shall i put it... erm... sexy.. ;) chania choli! haahaa... smt backless ;)

    Other Nicknames....

    NANDU BABY!!!!!
    If i were saurabh, i would have called u this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *clap clap cheer*

    Since you already have crockery, put up wish list so we know what to get ya! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! just heard...oops just read rather...Congrats!! n I guess I do agree with nimbupani on the 'wedding blog' thingie...I think its always fun to know wats happening whn ppl rush ard tryin to put their wedding plans together (fun for the bystander and friends) :)
    anyways, I dont blog much(to me means I dont read other ppl's blog much)the rare occasions I do...I leave a long message...I hope you remeber who this is.. take care

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey preeti,

    thanks for the good wishes! great to hear from you... hope your interest in the wedding blog means that you'll come back often and comment a bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. great blog on game shower wedding I have abolg on the subject here game shower wedding

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Wendelin The Weird, There are not too many good resell rights related sites that aren't full of junk posts, search engine scraping and except for keyword stuffing, nothing useful related to resell rights. It was nice to find an exception today when I happened upon your site. Keep it going.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So...does this mean your not getting married? I'm a little confused.

    ReplyDelete
  9. many matters that must prepared for wedding. so to girded

    ReplyDelete

Fixin' to move

Bored and restless am I. It's time to move on from this "wendelin" business. I'm fixing up a new place to get properly res...