Thursday, July 1, 2004
I Party
So much of what I know of parties comes from TV and books - where, unless the plot requires it to be interminably dull, all parties are rollicking fun - that I feel guilty admitting that most of them bore me. The guilt actually adds itself to the boredom and worsens my plight. I have this vague sense that I'm not as sociable as I like to think I am, after all; I end up telling the world to screw it all, and damned if I put on a fake smile just because.
Last Friday was one of the rare exceptions. Amit invited me to Brix, which is on Scoots road at the basement of the Hyatt, and I went with very few qualms because Amit's presence at a party takes boredom out of the menu (bless him).
To quote Saurabh (who quotes from Seinfeld), I should go down on my knees and thank god that I have access to my dementia and Amit's salesmanship, to drag myself from JP back to NTU for a change of clothes, then to his place and on to Brix when my eyes were crying out for sleep. Because Brix is simply splendid.
The company was great, of course, though quite apart from deafening music making Amit's funnies out of the question, there was also the fact that I was there mostly with couples (or, in Nari's case, wannabe couples) who kept going happily off on their own, which left Amit and myself to get drinks, dance a bit and mostly sit around in the beginning.
And then the band came on. Don't ask me the name of the band - even Googling doesn't work - but without a doubt, they are the best live band I have heard. Not only do the three singers have enormous talent and heavenly, heavenly voices, they're quite good looking. Have a bit of a crush myself on the tallest of those black dudes. He gave me a gorgeous smile when I was dancing enthusiastically to their "It's My Life", later in the evening. *Swoon*
It says a lot about the quality of the band that I name them the highlight of the evening despite hearing some of the best gossip from Nari later on. Nari was letting himself go nicely that night - beers and cigarettes in quick succession. Tipsily, he gave me and NMK and Divya the low down on anyone in NTU you care to name, and I do mean the down and dirty- what I'll restrainedly term the 'blush factor' was quite high.
I suppose, sadly enough (or happily, depending on how you look at things), that it's all mostly conjecture on Nari's part, though to his credit, he tells it very convincingly. Hearing him talk you'd think everyone confided their deepest secrets in him, or that he had cameras hidden everywhere... or, if you're really naive and choose to fully believe him, both. But it was highly entertaining nevertheless. The fun thing is, with people, you're never sure whether it's because they're drunk that they're talking that way, or whether they're using their inebriated state as an excuse to indulge themselves.
We rounded off the evening (morning?) with roti prata on River Valley road at 5 am (one of the true blessings of life, all night food courts). Brilliant party. I want more like it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Fixin' to move
Bored and restless am I. It's time to move on from this "wendelin" business. I'm fixing up a new place to get properly res...
-
As I type up last Friday's blog inviting questions for the weekly "Ask Me Anything Day", Saurabh looks over my shoulder. Click...
-
Yes, there have been no updates lately, but that is because - well - With a view towards relaxation and general surfing, I trolled LJ for fu...
-
. I have yet again managed to rip my schedule to shreds and shamelessly shy away from work. I need to do something about it... and what bet...
No comments:
Post a Comment