Sunday, May 30, 2004
Kids These Days
Excerpt from blog of a 17-yr-old that totally vindicates my pet theory that we (and that means YOU and me, people) are gettin OLD...
"4get abt nougatz.....luv iz in e air!!! i juz match maked my bez fren in SG n ma bro here in Auz...kool eh...din noe i cud do tt....actuali i hav done tiz kinda stuff b4...bei xia...herm herm..noe hu i tokin abt rite?? hehe ;)...n tere iz some1 else az well...cant say la or else she'll bash me up 4 sure!! :P hope tey work out...gd luck 2 u guyz ;)!!! cant exactli elaborate more on e story...dono if she mind...will find out frm her n edit if i cud k !
rite...ciao ppz...cya 2nite...hopefulli w nougats ;)"
I rest my case.
Update
I got to thinking a bit deeper about this. I think the defining attitude of youth today is frivolousness. I'm not criticising or being derogatory - well, maybe I am, a little, but not much - I'm just saying. Anything that's done with purpose is uncool. Giggling is in, absurdity means popularity, and staying in means joining in the absurdity and gioggling.
Contrast with us Gen-X-ers. We were pretty darn aimless too, in our teenage years, but we tried, I think, to make a show of having big plans. Which kinda led to us thinking about big plans, too, and though we don't have anything to show for it now, it worked out all right. Hmm.
I think the best 'generation', by far, was the late baby-boomer era, aka the swingin 60's and 70's. They had purpose (albeit a frivolous one: 'be different')... they had a life. They had dreams and they were so enthusiastic about getting there. What a youth they must have had. I don't envy them the drugs, but I definitely envy them the freedom.
But then again, look what they've become today. Effing George W. Bush's, the lot of them - anal retentive to the point of ludicrity, Establishment to the core. Ban this, ban that, keep the homos out and the church in; let's all put on out aprons and caps and play 'Nanny'. Sold their souls, the bastards. I think we X-ers will do much better, we have common sense.
And as for the Y-ers and, heaven forbid, the millennials - who knows?
Related: Sushil posted on the Youth Of Today sometime back, too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Fixin' to move
Bored and restless am I. It's time to move on from this "wendelin" business. I'm fixing up a new place to get properly res...
-
As I type up last Friday's blog inviting questions for the weekly "Ask Me Anything Day", Saurabh looks over my shoulder. Click...
-
Yes, there have been no updates lately, but that is because - well - With a view towards relaxation and general surfing, I trolled LJ for fu...
-
. I have yet again managed to rip my schedule to shreds and shamelessly shy away from work. I need to do something about it... and what bet...
Hi Wendelin The Weird, As you are probably aware, there are so many junk filled blogs. As I was searching for master resell rights related information today, it was a nice break from the 'usual' to come across your blog. I am happy I searched for master resell rights related ideas today. Thanks.
ReplyDelete