Thursday, May 13, 2004

Fic Recs

New on 12 Nov '04

Elsha's Stories - featuring Theodore Nott and a brilliant OC Anne Fairleigh, Elsha's series of stories (Distractions, Discussions, Discoveries, Distinctions, Disadvantages and Disavowals) is by far the best I've read to date in fanfic. This is saying something when you consider FernWithy, Samvimes and the other masters out there... but the elegance of these stories sets them apart. Here, finally, is a series that handles romance as if it were Rowling herself who was writing it (and perhaps better!), that handles issues of family loyalty, principles and choosing sides delicately and with great depth. What I like best about this is that in Theodore Nott, I see the man Severus Snape might have become if he had had someone to turn to. It blows me away.

New on 17 August 2004

It's Not Personal

This is one of those fics that defy you to point out what exactly makes them superlative. It's really funny, the characters are real, and it even has a nice point. But what elevates it to the really cool fic it is? I don't quite know. Guess you'll just have to read it.

New on 9 August '04:

Fernwithy's Humungous Bighead Site - She has her finger on the pulse of the HP universe as no one (bar JKR) does. The one-offs are unbelievable, the writing outstanding. I have more favourite fics by this author than anyone else.

Mosylu's Fanfic - A woman after my own heart. Writes superbly plotted one-shots with dialogue par excellence. My absolute favourites are "The Dare", "Friends" and the work in progress "Post Mortem".

Samvimes's Oojahs - arguably the best writer in all of fandom. I envy him everything: his classical education, his way with words, his endless inventiveness and his ability to weave a plot out of next to nothing, all of which he uses to lethal effect. My favourite has to be Acts Infernal, which I have recommended before, and Anywhere But Here. Read at your own risk.

New on 21 June '04:

A Fair Fellowship of Young Squires by After The Rain

A beautifully told tale of an unlikely storyteller who touches the hearts of a group of youngsters.

New on 15 May '04:

PS..

Thistlerose's story stands out from all those sappy post-OotP grieving-Harry fics. Very sweet.

Moon and Stone

Nice, fluffy series with decent amount of substance and great characterisations. Chronicles of the first werewolf at Hogwarts.

The Rocky Road to Rosier

The best Moody fic ever, and an excellent one in its own right.

Andrea 13's Thinking Cap stories

Waste of your life if you haven't read these yet.


...........................................................................

The Doll Army

6 year old Dora Tonks wants an army to help her feel safe. Enter Messrs. Moony, Padfoot and Wormtail, her knights in messy clothes. Fernwithy's story is one of the best pieces of writing I've ever read.

Acts Infernal

Step into Dante's Inferno with Harry in this beautifully written and marvellously researched novella-length fic by Samvimes.

Of A Sort

Vignettes featuring some of our favourite characters' sortings. Another of Fernwithy's gems - especially the first chapter, and the one of Ted Tonks.

Moondance

Moony wakes up after a transformation gone wild and finds himself in the company of a little... muggle werewolf? This lovingly crafted story will tease emotions out of you that you never knew you had.

Transformations I: The Year Of Living Differently

Why did Snape decide to spy for Dumbledore? Finally, a well told tale answers by keeping Snape in character - for completely logical reasons.

Darkness Dying

Iniga's masterpiece tells of the events leading up to Voldemort's first downfall. This one was the first, the others just followed.

Disenchanted

A post CoS Ginny talks to a rare, rare thing in fanfic - a believable Dumbledore.

He Ain't Incoherent...

...He's My Brother. And you thought you knew all about Giants.

And The Hat Said 'Gryffindor'

It's hard to do a good Hagrid. Even JKR's slipping. This one, though, is a beauty.

Down From The Tree: Consequences

The missing Padfoot-Dumbledore scene from the end of PoA that weaves in and out of a certain Prank in the past.

Interwoven

A must for any Padfoot fangurl. Me, I'm saving myself for Remus.

Lines Of Descent

Who was the werewolf that bit Moony?

Down From The Tree: Actions

The author says: "If you don't want Snape to take over, just don't write him at all. I don't know how JKR gets him to shut up."

The Snape Who (Almost) Stole Christmas

The only poem fic I've ever liked... and boy did I like it! I sing it under my breath to my own tune all the time.

What would you see?

.. if you looked in the Mirror of Erised? The first chapter is simply brilliant.

After the End

One of the old classics, now my refuge when I'm in denial about Padfoot. Wonderful writing, great plot, loads of goo.

Denizen of the Deep

Dennis Creevy and the Giant Squid. If that doesn't grab you, I don't know what will.


2 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work. Check out my andtech marketing.com niche site work here andtech marketing.com niche site

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wendelin The Weird, As you are probably aware, there are so many junk filled blogs. As I was searching for niche products related information today, it was a nice break from the 'usual' to come across your blog. I am happy I searched for ##LINK"" related ideas today. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Fixin' to move

Bored and restless am I. It's time to move on from this "wendelin" business. I'm fixing up a new place to get properly res...